Week 4 Lab: TedEd Language


I decided to watch the YouTube videos that had TedEd about language. The first one was pretty interesting in that it talked about the evolution on language. In trying to break down how languages came to be we can understand the similarities between them. The video talks about how it's hard to determine language trees the further you go up because of the lack of information we have about them. But it's also cool to know that we're all connected in a way because of the original language we all possibly spoke. I liked how Alex Gendler broke everything down in the video so it was easy to follow along with the topic,

In the next video I watched it talked about the different verb tenses in the English language. I haven't taken an English course in a while and it blew my mind. No wonder they say that English is a difficult language to learn, there are so many little things that are hard to teach. I feel like the different specific types of verb tenses falls under that category. Some examples are present simple, present perfect progressive, and future simple. Anna Ananichuk changed my perspective of the English language in just 4 minutes will all of the tenses she went through in the video. There ended up being 12 different approaches in the English language.

The last video I will talk about is narrated by Marcel Danesi and talks about where do new words come from? He goes into detail about how languages are always evolving every day. The video mentions there are hundreds of words added to the dictionary every year. I think it is so cool that we live in a time and place where everything is changing so much and the language is following as well.

(Caption: English alphabet in puzzle pieces by Pixabay)

Comments