Growth Mindset: The Cats of Wisdom

For this week's growth mindset assignment, I decided to go back to the mindset cats. I love seeing the different captions with the different pictures of the cats and I feel like it's a good growth mindset learning experience for me.

This week I choose these three pictures: 

So now I'll go into why I picked what I picked. So, I believe I've said before in a blog post that I'm a teaching assistant for the MIS department. I'm the TA for the intro to programming and database and I see this growth mindset happening all the time. Students will come in and ask questions then if the next one that comes in asks the same question, the previous student jumps in to try to help them. It makes me happy that as humans we're helpful to another human struggling. I'm the same way in the classes I'm in now. If I understand a concept and another friend/classmate is struggling, I try to frame it in a different way to help them understand it.
The next mindset cat I picked was the Theodore Roosevelt quote. I think its really relevant to everyday life. I'm normally not the bravest person, but when I put my mind to it I can do things that scare me. Like for instance, yesterday I went to my boyfriend's house and he had a big black spider on his front porch. I'm not kidding when I say that it was the size of my hand and terrifying. My boyfriend is only afraid of spiders as far as bugs go, so I decided that I was going to get rid of it for him. I went to the store to get the spray to kill it, but the spray nozzle came out as a sunscreen mist instead of a faraway stream like I was hoping. It was starting to get dark and I needed to kill the dang thing, so I decided to try spraying it with weed killer. Only because it would spray from a far distance and I didn't want to get closer to the thing than I needed to. Long story short, I sprayed it off the wall with the weed killer, then soaked it with the spider killing spray, then smashed it with the bottom of a dustpan. I was really proud of myself that I got over my fear, and was able to do something that was super scary!
The last mindset cat picture I picked was the quote rise to the challenge. I feel like I've implemented that well during this semester. Juggling 2 jobs and being a full-time student, it can get pretty hectic during the weeks. I'm really lucky that at both of my jobs if I don't have any students who don't need help or people aren't having computer issues, I can do my homework at work. When that happens and I'm starting to get behind on homework, I just have to tell myself that I'm almost at the finish line. This will be my last semester of college and I take comfort in the fact I won't have to worry about homework ever again. I know that I can set my mind to anything and get the thing I'm worried about doing. I tend to stress myself out about it before, but I always get it done or it works itself out.
(Learn and then share what you learned Cat Image by Cheezeburger)
(The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself Cat Image by Cheezeburger)
(Rise to the challenge Cat Image by Cheezeburger

Comments